Sunday, October 24, 2010

What Kind of a Math-Person are You?




What kind of a math person are you? That's a pretty tough question to answer without some help. So, I will supply some help.


Pick just one of the following problems, and think about how you would go about the math. Would you need tools (paper & pencil, a calculator, just your brain)? If you worked mentally, would you see pictures in your head? If so what would they be? Would you see numbers being carried, borrowed, or traded? Do you see numbers stacked vertically?


Well, here goes...


27 + 53


53 - 27


2,456 divided by 12


27 X 53

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Of course, I went with the first one, perhaps because I just had this discussion with a second grade teacher.
27 + 53

I did 20+50=70 and then added ten. I usually solve mentally from left to right.

Dee Dee Tamburrino said...

I chose the long division problem (only because I know my multiplication tables really well). I immediately saw that 12 goes into 24 twice and 12 goes into 56 8 times. If it had been any more complicated, I would have needed paper and pencil.

Anonymous said...

hey mr. ruark!
i picked the long division problem because it looked hardest, then i saw that it was actually REALY EASY, because 12 goes into 24 2 times, and 12 goes into 56 4 times (mrs. tamburrino said 8, and probally ment to say 4), so the answer is 248 R 2/3!
tell me if i was correct!

sincerely, AJ :)