Sunday, October 10, 2010

I Don't Want to be a Hater, but..........

What is the thing that you most hated about math or a math class?

For me, the thing that I could never understand was teachers assigning 53 similar problems for homework! I can remember sitting at home from the age of about 11 to the age of 17 thinking that the teachers must be quite thick if they did not realize that if I could do two problems, I could do 53 problems. We also never went over more than two problems in the classroom. So, I am still confused and angry. I mean, I could have played a million more minutes of soccer under the street light!

Peace,

T-Cubed


4 comments:

M. Riverq said...

I went to a Catholic grade school, so you can imagine the kind of math homework we were assigned and guess what, I loved it!! I still love math. I love learning by repetition. I think it builds skill and has a nice byproduct- confidence. i also believe in moderation in all things.

Melanie Holtsman said...

Oh my goodness, I AGREE! If you could do 2, you could do 52...but also...if you couldn't do 2...52 more just made you feel so dumb. I also remember as a child thinking that I would never use what I was learning. I'm so glad that now, when my kids learn/do math they are using it in application (in class and homework). I wish I had learned math the way my kids are learning!

Dee Dee Tamburrino said...

My absolute least favorite things in any math class were word problems. They always seemed like the same problem regurgitated in several different and confusing ways....and I hated the distractors. TMI!!

My next least favorite things were fractions, decimals and percents.

To this day, my husband will say to me, "Athby, which is bigger? 7/16 or or 3/8?" I especially hate it when my 11-year old can answer the question before I even process what Steve is asking. Of course, he had a stellar math teacher in 5th grade :)

And please don't ask me to measure anything either.

Anonymous said...

my least favorite thing in math is when i have a question or an answer, and don't get called on. all of my math teachers have done that, and mother says it's because i am soooo smart and every else needs a chance, sooooooooo,
kay, bye!

sincerely, AJ :)