Sunday, August 24, 2008

United Streaming, Fay, and Other Far-Out Stuff







Recently, a very intelligent cohort of mine called me to tell me that she had found, on United Streaming, an hour's worth of five-minute snippets of real folks telling how they used math in their jobs. She described the very varied types of individuals profiled. All of the interviews sounded great! I cannot wait to watch these interviews.

Then, T.S. Fay toppled a huge Oak tree onto my house and I lost phone service, cable, Internet, and electricity. At that moment, 3:00 A.M. 08-21-08, I started to think about math! Some of my thoughts: Is there still a $5,000 hurricane deductible? How much do carpenters charge per hour? How much does plywood cost per sheet? Exactly how hot will it get in my house without AC? How long will my generator run on one five-gallon tank of fuel?

Math may not always be pretty, but it is always around us!

Peace,

T-Cubed

1 comment:

Melanie Holtsman said...

Thanks for reminding me that I AM a mathematician! I am constantly asking myself math questions like that. Sorry you had that not fun math to do.