Thursday, August 14, 2008

OK, I'll Explain The Garb!


Many people have inquired about my state of dress in my photo. Well, here's how it went down. I went to Kingsley Plantation, a former cotton plantation (owned at one point by an African-American woman!). I was visiting the slave quarters that were originally constructed of tabby, a mixture of oyster shell, sand, water, and lime. One of the small buildings was being restored to its original condition which is quite different than the weathered look that the buildings have today. Part of the restoration process involves letting new tabby dry at a slow rate, and that involves wrapping the drying tabby in burlap.

To be short, I found some burlap on the ground. I made my daughter wear it for a gorgeous shot. She took a photo of me, and then the Park Ranger screamed at us for bothering the burlap. Really, it was just resting on the ground.

That's it!

1 comment:

Mrs. Wallace said...

The picture of your daughter is a gorgeous one! As for your being yelled at by the ranger, consider yourself lucky for that being the only thing the ranger did. Could this be another 'ends justify the means' scenario? Only if I only consider the great shot of your daughter. Thanks for sharing your story though. As usual, it made me smile. ;-)