Sunday, September 21, 2008

Splitting Up Work Makes Life Easy!




I wish that I could make this uploaded work a bit more clear, but it still is great to emphasise my point.

This work comes from our last Mini-Quiz, and it is a great example of how organizing your work in a very simple way can lead to a great outcome. K did an amazingly simple but powerful thing when she drew lines to separate her problems. She made it easier for her brain to focus on the tasks individually. Separate spaces for separate thoughts. Simple but very important.

I also noticed something else really cool. K did not use ultra-small writing. While I like saving trees as much as the next teacher, I know that simply writing bigger and using more space often creates better results.

I also love love love love love love the expanded notation in the addition problem, the open number line in the subtraction problem, the generic rectangle in the multiplication problem, and the misconception corrected in the division problem. This work ROCKS!!!!!!

1 comment:

Melissa Ross said...

What great strategies! I think we will pull up your post as part of tomorrow's math lesson so the kids can see your great strategies! (They won't believe that 5th graders are using strategies that they know!)Thanks for sharing!