Sunday, October 9, 2011

Word Problem Blues






Please click on the images to see a larger version.



One of these things is not like the other. Both were answers on a recent HW sheet, and both have similarities. However, only one really answers the question asked. I think that you will be able to tell which is which!

When I see a student answer a word problem with only a number, I often remind students that teachers and test graders are among the least intelligent life forms on the planet. Are we talking 21 9/25 tons of elephant poo? 21 9/25 pounds of cheese? Is 21 9/25 even a legitimate answer to the question that was asked? Without a sentence, I simply do not know.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Keep doing what you do best!! I am always going to read your every word!!

The tallest of the math sisters!!

Dee Dee Tamburrino said...

I'm getting the same sort of response to "What genre of music are the songs, "Tideo" and "Alabama Gal?" Answer: Folk.

I can infer that they meant "folk songs" because of the way the question was presented, but a good number of answers are coming back "folk tales."

I say old chap, "Isn't that KK's domain?"